How to safely order food delivery, takeout and groceries during coronavirus quarantine
With almost everyone self-isolating and observing the temporary lockdown; ordering services are working hard to make sure you can place order for items including food, groceries and takeout. These items can be requested to be delivered to your doorstep without you having to be in contact with anyone.
ORDERING GROCERIES, FOOD AND TAKEOUT DURING THE PANDEMIC.
The pandemic has surmounted many of our daily activities. These activities includes quick trips to the grocery store and lunch in restaurants.
What used to be a very normal task to individuals now brings to the terror to hearts of many. Questions have ensued “is the virus on food packaging?” “Am I supposed to go to the store?”
THE RISK IN GOING TO THE STORE OR RESTAURANT.
There is risk of being infected when one goes to the store or restaurant. The virus according to the CDC can be spread easily through contact between two persons. Checkout more information about COVID-19 on www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
Although one can also get infected by touching objects that with the virus on them and then touches face, nose or mouth. It is now safer place to orders online and have them delivered at your doorstep.
EXAMPLES OF APPS AVAILABLE FOR ORDERING.
The days of calling restaurants or shops to place orders are finally over. As we now have compatible ios and android apps that enable us place orders by merely tapping our phone screens. Some of these apps include; DoorDash, GrubHub, Uber eats, Seamless, Postmates, gopuff, Delivery.com, Instacart, Munchery, Eat24.
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN ORDERING DURING QUARANTINE.
- Sanitize your hands. Wash hands often with soup and water for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol based hand sanitizers.
- Use nose face and hand gloves while receiving goods, if door delivery services are not available.
- Make online transactions. Do not exchange cash or coins. The virus can survive on surfaces. If by any chance you make cash transactions sanitize your hand before and after receiving it. Click here for tips about secure online payments.
- Tip the food courier via online payment and If you must sign for the delivery, use your own pen.
- Immediately discard the packaging in which the food/grocery came in and wash reusable grocery bags.
- Wipe food packages with sanitizing wipes or cleaners.
- Do not eat cold food. On receiving the food, if it has gotten cold warm or microwave it.
- Perishable items should be washed immediately they are received. The outer most layer of food items like cabbage and lettuce should be thrown away. Items can also be kept in the refrigerator.
- In cooking some perishable items like meat, cook to proper internal temperature.
- Clean your kitchen surfaces and table tops proper and if items received looks rough handled, discard them and lay immediate complains.
There is no need to fret if the aforementioned safety precautions can be observed and it is important to note that no evidence has been provided by the CDC to support the claims of many that says “the virus can be spread through food”.